Hi,

here is the interesting part of our syslog appender:
log4j.appender.ptaAppender=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender
log4j.appender.ptaAppender.SyslogHost=fufu
log4j.appender.ptaAppender.Facility=user
log4j.appender.ptaAppender.FacilityPrinting=
log4j.appender.ptaAppender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.ptaAppender.layout.ConversionPattern=[%t:%x] %p %c{2} %m\n
log4j.appender.ptaAppender.layout.DateFormat=NULL
log4j.appender.ptaAppender.layout.TimeZone=

It logs to user level log which is /var/log/application on my linux box.
It is probably not perfect, but it works ;-))

Heike