From: Christopher Taylor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 12:27 PM
To: LOG4J Users Mailing List; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NTEventLogAppender - remove ugly description message?

No problems... yeah, it's the NTEventLogAppender.dll.  According to the make
file, the resources are included in the DLL.

AddRegistryInfo is a function (sorry about the misnomer) in the
nteventlog.cpp file.  It's responsible for adding the appropriate registry
entry for the message dll (the NTEventLogAppender.dll).  It only needs to
run once, and you can verify if it has been run by opening the registry
editor and checking the values of the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\[s
ource name], where source name is the string passed into the
NTEventLogAppender method registerEventSource.  If you look at the source
code for NTEventLogAppender.java, you'll see that the default source name is
Log4J.

If the NT Event Viewer is giving you grief, the reason is that the
NTEventLogAppender.dll hasn't been registered properly in the NT registry,
or that the Event Viewer application can't find the DLL.  If you check the
registry as above and send me the results, I'll see what I can do.

-Chris