hi!

 >    I'd like to absract log4j from my appilication so I don't have to do a
 > import org.apache.log4j.* throughout my source files and be dependant on the
 > Category class.   What is a good method to employ here?

jdk1.4 has such APIs like this:

   Class caller = sun.reflect.Reflection.getCallerClass(3);

which returns the Class of current methods caller^3;
whose name is then used in deciding which categories to pick.

(for now, I'm just parsing output of stack trace from a
locally created java.lang.Throwable object to get the
caller's name+method; there'd be a better way than this?)...

regards,
kenji