The choice is not about which exceptions I want to log, but how the
exceptions I have decided will be logged are displayed.

I am looking for a global setting in configuration that would change the way
all exceptions were logged when called by cat.xxx(m,t). So you could turn on
an off the stack trace logging. Currently you have to decide in code i.e.
cat.xxx(t) no stack trace cat.xxx(m,t) stack trace.

I have created ExceptionWithLogging class which all my Exceptions I want to
log can extend, so they will have in built logging (logging statement called
in constructor) and you don't have to write code like

catch (myException m){
  cat.xxx("Exception", m)
}

all the time as its already done. This also has advantage you don't need to
include the log4j library stuff in every file that you want to log
exceptions. However log now will get every stack trace of all my logged
exceptions. Would like this to be configurable as stack traces can be quite
large.

The choice about which exceptions I want to log is made by calling a logging
statement when I catch an exception.

If I want to turn of logging of all my exceptions then I can do this in the
config file by setting the threshold for ExceptionWithLogging.

I haven't considered a way of automatically logging java library exceptions
such as the ones you mention - can this be done?

Hope this clarifies things

Andrew