If you are using tomcat, each webapp works independently of the other, and
to my understanding it has it's own class loader separated from the other
webapps.
What I do is have log4j.jar in each webapps /WEB_INF/lib directory and the
use a different log4j.properties logging to a file appender (to a different
file).
Each app logs with it's own priority and categories without a problem.
I think this approeach should work for you also.

Ylan.