You don't create a category hierarchy per se, it's an implicit
creation. You just get instances of a Category object using whatever
name you want. I imagine most people use the class name as the category
name, since classes have an implicit hierarchy and the log4j docs
encourage you to do so. But you don't have to.

I recommend re-reading the section 'Category hierarchy' from
the log4j manual. You can find it at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/manual.html

And then check out all the getInstance() methods of Category at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/Category.html

Hopefully that will help you see what's going on.

-- Don