> I've created a special use appender by extending the
> AppenderSkeleton class
> and have it working as expected.  It works as long as I
> instantiate and
> configure the appender within a class.
>
> When I try to declare and configure it via a property file, I get a
> ClassNotFound exception.
>
> It is in a jar file I know is in the classpath.  Is there a
> limitation on
> where an appender needs to be?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My guess is that the classloader for log4j.jar isn't the one used for
your custom class - if you make them the same (either by making log4j
live closer to the "leaf" classloader or making your custom class
available closer to the "root" classloader) you should avoid these
problems. I had exactly this trouble with Tomcat for a while, before I
decided to put log4j.jar in WEB-INF/lib (which is where my custom
classes were too).

Jon