Here is a really simple question.  I’m still learning this package.

The introduction talks about retrieving references to Categories via a static method getInstance().  Does this mean I can retrieve instances from any class running in that JVM?  For example I have a RMI server that spawns a few threads which I need logging on.  Can I initialize the Categories in the main server and retrieve them this way in the threads without passing references to them?  How is this accomplished behind the scenes?