Greetings,
We needed a FileAppender which could generate unique file names (unique to a given VM -- but not unique within the VM). I wrote one, the UniqueFileAppender, which I have attached in hopes that someone on this list will know how to get it into the log4j pipeline. Or just in case anyone else would find it useful.

UniqueFileAppender extends FileAppender to use unique filenames. The filename is constructed from the VMID, the host name, and an optional file prefix. Note that the VMID should be sufficient for uniqueness. The additional prefixes are meant to aid in file management.
The resulting filenames will be something like the following;
ETTRACE-sirius-37cb61f8f3397d86-6db54-ea35fb6c3f.log
Thanks,
-- Chris

Chris Berry  --- [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- 512-323-9479