Hi Patrick

See the topic "log4j configuration via XML SOLVED" in this mailing list and
the following from Alan Pearlman Spencer:

***************************************3
Hi Again,
Tomcat, in it's batch file, has it's own CLASSPATH.
It creates a ClassLoader for each webapp.
It used all jars in lib directory and the classes directory.

The problem you are seeing is that the ClassLoaders are in
a tree structure.
TOMCAT_CLASSLOADER
  WEBAPP_X_CLASSLOADER
  WEBAPP_Y_CLASSLOADER
Take a look at the documentation for java.lang.ClassLoader for info on
this.

If a class A is loaded in WEBAPP_X_CLASSLOADER and it tries to load
another
class B (or resource) it first looks in WEBAPP_X_CLASSLOADERs classpath
and
then goes to the parent TOMCAT_CLASSLOADER. If B is not found in
WEBAPP_X_CLASSLOADER, but is found in TOMCAT_CLASSLOADER and it then in
turn
tries to load another class or resource C it can only "see"
TOMCAT_CLASSLOADER,
so it does not have access to the WEBAPP_X_CLASSLOADER classpath.

I think in your case:
Servelt loaded in WEBAPP_X_CLASSLOADER
XML file loaded in WEBAPP_X_CLASSLOADER
XML parser loaded in TOMCAT_CLASSLOADER
DTD searched for in TOMCAT_CLASSLOADER and not found.

It probably makes sense to put the log4J.jar in the TOMCAT_CLASSLOADER's
classpath...
I have copied the log4J.jar in %TOMACT_HOME%/lib then it worked.

Cheers
Roland