----- Original Message -----
From: "Armin Zeltner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 4:24 AM
Subject: log4j initialization problems

> Hi
>
> I've the following sequence:
>         Category root=Category.getRoot();
>         root.addAppender(new ConsoleAppender());
>         Category log=Category.getInstance(XYZ.class.getName());

This by itself does not initialize log4j.  You need to do a properties/XML
file init or explicitly call one of the configure methods prior to trying to
obtain a Category.  For the simplist way, simply do :
    BasicConfigurator.configure();
    Category log=Category.getInstance(XYZ.class.getName());

>     log.debug("abcdef");
>
> and I get the following error:
> log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category (XYZ).
> log4j:ERROR Please initialize the log4j system properly.
>

> I really the initialization of root or any parent category not sufficient?

Again, simply obtaining root does not configure the log4j system.

> THX
> Armin
>

> --
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>