> See Appender Additivity

Thank you for your help.  Here is my solution in detail for the record:

# causes log4j to be verbose while parsing this file
log4j.debug

# Sets the root category to DEBUG level using the rollfile appenders
log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG,rollfile
# Sets the nuserve category to DEBUG level using the stdout&rollfile
appenders
log4j.category.nuserve=DEBUG,stdout,rollfile
# Sets the additivity flag for the nuserve category to false.  This means
# that nuserve and its subcategories will not inherit from root, which
# is good because tomcat adds appenders to root that I don't want.
log4j.additivity.nuserve=false

log4j.appender.stdout = org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.stdout.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern =%d{EEE HH:mm:ss} %5p
[%c{1}:%L] %m%n

log4j.appender.rollfile = org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.rollfile.File = nuserve.log
log4j.appender.rollfile.MaxFileSize = 5120KB
log4j.appender.rollfile.MaxBackupIndex = 5
log4j.appender.rollfile.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.rollfile.layout.ConversionPattern =%d{dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss}
%5p [%F:%L] -%m%n