Dave,

The FAQ item you mention is entitled

Why can't Log4J find my properties file in a J2EE or WAR application?

See http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/FAQ.html#j2ee

This FAQ item is actually misleading.

Log4j does not attempt to do any class loading itself. I repeat, log4j does not
do classloading.

At 16:35 18.01.2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am using log4j 1.2alpha6, and have run into a problem with the new
>ClassLoader behavior. I am running some JUnit tests through Ant 1.4.1, and
>when log4j tries to load my appender class named in the properties file, it
>fails with this error:
>
>    log4j:ERROR: A "foo.mumble.MyAppender" object is not assignable
>                 to a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.

How do you know that the log4j classes are loaded by the AntClassLoader
while foo.mumble.MyAppender has been loaded by a different one?

By the way, does foo.mumble.MyAppender class implement the Appender interface?

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch