What is the benefit of using JDBCAppenders over RFAppenders for EJB
related logging?  To me log files are so much easier to read, and I
prefer it over any database, unless there is a fundamental reason
against it, such as problems related to multiple threads trying to write
to the same file simultaneously when the app server is under load.

Donnie: can you provide some details how to set up log4j
programmatically so that I can use configAndWatch?  I would think a
stateless session bean loaded into the free pool at server startup can
be used.  Any other suggestions?