Not sure if this is the desired behaviour.  The same will occur with the other
setter methods.

No I won't be doing this in my code...I was just testing for another issue
(QuietWriter.flush() threw a NullPointerException after changing my
FileAppender's directory to a disk with no space e.g. floppy  - cannot repeat in
a junit test though)

It may be better to throw an IllegalArgumentException, or just to ignore the
parameter if null.

Code from  log4j.varia.FallbackErrorHandler.java
  /+ACoAKg-
     Set the backup appender.
   +ACo-/
  public
  void setBackupAppender(Appender backup) +AHs-
    LogLog.debug(+ACI-FB: Setting backup appender to +AFsAIg- +- backup.getName() +-
+ACIAXQ-.+ACI-)+ADs-
    this.backup +AD0- backup+ADs-
  +AH0-

Using log4jv1.2-beta2.