> Btw, here is the code in my Listener that starts the logging:
>
>         System.out.println("Starting the logger");
>         PropertyConfigurator.configure
>
> ("/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
> /log4j.properties");
Try to remove PropertyConfigurator.configure from your Listener.
log4j initializes itself automatically when it finds a log4j.properties file
in a WEB-INF/classes directory.

------------------------ from user
manual ----------------------------------------------
Example Configurations
Default Initialization under Tomcat

The default log4j initialization is particularly useful in web-server
environments. Under Tomcat 3.x and 4.x, you should place the
log4j.properties under the WEB-INF/classes directory of your
web-applications. Log4j will find the properties file and initialize itself.
This is easy to do and it works.

Remove also the following lines from log4j.properties. For your purpors you
don't need them.
log4j.threshold=INFO
log4j.disable=DEBUG

Regards