After scanning the html docs included in the latest beta, I saw that I
should be able to use MDCs in my application code and have their contents
display on log messages (just like NDCs) using the following PatternLayout
configuration:

        <appender name="CONSOLE" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
                     <param name="ConversionPattern"
                    value="%-d %-5p [%c] [%M] - %x{sessionId} - %m%n"/>
                </layout>
        </appender>

Where "sessionId" is a key that I use in my code that load the MDC for an
executing thread at runtime.  However, I am seeing the following in my log
messages:

2002-02-19 08:37:02,189 DEBUG [com.foo.bar.filter.WrapperFilter] [doFilter]
- {sessionId} - Exitting method.

My code is doing a simple put (MDC.put("sessionId", "123456789");) but the
data is not showing up in the log messages.  What is the problem?

--Mario Aquino

WARNING:  All e-mail sent to and from this address will be received or
someone other than the recipient.