If the class name of your appender is:
  com.mycompany.myapp.NewAppender

Then the configuration file for it looks like this:
  log4j.appender.MyAppender=com.mycompany.myapp.NewAppender

As I understand it, Log4J uses JavaBeans Introspection to set properties on the
appenders.  I read through the Introspection section of the JavaBean API.
http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/docs/spec.html

Basically, if your appender has a property called someProperty of type String, then
you need two methods:
  public String getSomeProperty()
  public void setSomeProperty(String newProperty)

In the configuration file if you have an appender called MyAppender then the values
for someProperty are set like this:
  log4j.appender.MyAppender.SomePropery=someValue

That's how I did it anyway.  Hope it helps.

Jud Barr
Principal Financial Group
Des Moines, Iowa

[EMAIL PROTECTED]