Why don't you just use the DOMConfigurator and use the configureAndWatch()
method to initialize log4j. Then you can change the config file dynamically
at
runtime and have it take effect. This is probably the best (& easiest) way
to use
log4j when you want dynamic logging changes at runtime.

-Scott

                    Naveen Bathula

                    <nbatula@intel       To:     Log4J Users List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    idata.com>           cc:

                                         Subject:     Runtime Enable/Disable Logging

                    03/13/2002

                    11:55 AM

                    Please respond

                    to "Log4J

                    Users List"

I am using log4j-1.2beta3

I set the Logging Level to be  "FATAL"
  LogManager.getLoggerRepository().setThreshold(XLevel.FATAL);
in the code.

I came across a mailing list where we can overide the Level with out
changing the binary at the client site using the command at run time

java ..... -D log4j.disableOverride=true  (I set this during run time)

This Level is set to debug in the configuration
 <priority value ="debug" />
   <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>

But I don't see all my debug messages....
Am I doing something wrong.....
How can we overide the threshold Level set in the binary code during rin
time?

Thanks