>It's the price to pay in order to allow config file merging. One
>interesting feature
>would be to allow a reset instruction within the config file....

Yeah, I was thinking that too.  The current behavior could stay as is, but a
setting could be in the configuration file for a new "reset" behavior.

>Doesn't calling Category.resetConfiguration do trick? What else do you
need?

The documentation for resetConfiguration() suggests that it should be used
sparingly since it blocks all logging calls until it is completed.  The
patch I am looking at will only block logging calls on the Category while it
is being reset; all other logging calls can proceed normally.  The trick is
keeping track of the cateogory objects that have been created/affected by
the configuration file and resetting the others.  I'll post a patch tomorrow
and you can evaluate.  If nothing else, it always fallback to
resetConfiguration().

thanks,
-Mark