Rick,

You can place the log4j.properties file in any *directory* that
is included in the CLASSPATH. Log4j will automatically find it
and configure itself.

Under a web container environment, I suggest that you place log4j.jar under
WEB-INF/lib/ and the configuration script (log4j.properties) under
WEB-INF/classes/

Let me know if that is not enough for your needs.

--
Ceki
My link of the month: