I'm also using Chainsaw but there is a minor problem using it with the
1.1.3 log4j release.  The problem is the method name used to identify
constructors which is <init>.  Since Chainsaw needs an XML file format
it chokes when reading the < and > characters since these are XML
delimiters.

To get around this I've tweaked the XMLLayout.format() method to replace
the < and > with ( and ).  However, since I'm using  the
String.replace() method I suspect that I've compromised the performance
charactistics of log4j with this mod.  I've entered a bug for this
(#7593) against the 1.1.3 release.

I haven't tried the 1.2 beta release to see if the problem has been
resolved.  I also understand that the Chainsaw app is being folded into
the next release of log4j but I can not validate this assertion.

Jack Rief
Senior Software Engineer
Paxonix Inc.
www.paxonix.com <http://www.paxonix.com>