From: Ceki Gulcu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 2:38 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: Help to configure Log4j with example

At 17:43 11.04.2002 -0700, you wrote:
> > Maybee the only thing we need is to break down the manual
> > into several htmls
> > with an index and have a section like "Getting started for the really
> > impatient" or something of the kind.
> > What do you guys think:
>
>I think we should consider doing this.  I do like the focus of Dave's
>document, ie "here's what you have to do to get up and running, here is an
>extremely simple example, boom you're off".  I would also like to see a
>section like "where to go from here, frequently asked questions about
>extending log4j" that would cover writing custom appenders, levels,
filters,
>etc.  Doesn't have to be detailed start to finish, but points folks in the
>right direction.  And a discussion about using xml configuration files and
>the DOMConfigurator.  Whatever we do now can be extended over time, too.
>Maybe a faq on steroids is more the format?
>
>Ceki, do you mind if we use/break up your article as a source for the
>mini-manual?

No, I don't mind. In any case, the short manual is licensed under the Apache
Software License even if it it does not say so. (I'll add the license
information).

On the other hand, wouldn't it be more useful if you made your additions to
the
existing manual directly. Moreover, if you look at

   http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/documentation.html

you will see that there are already a number of short articles from third
parties.
My suggestion would be to work and improve the existing manual rather than
starting a new effort. Or am I missing something here?

--
Ceki