Howdy,
It's definitely and easily possible with log4j.  See the javadoc for
DailyRollingFileAppender.  (If you've never used log4j before, it may make better
sense if you read the short manual first).

Depending on how your own logging mechanism works, it may make sense to use a façade
and just use all log4j under it, or replace your mechanism with log4j altogether.

Good luck ;)

Yoav Shapira
ChemInformatics