As I understand it, the following should create files in my /tmp dir (though it
doesn't), but I do get this log4j output to my console. Could someone verify for me
that I have this correct.

log4j.category.com.neuroquest.cais.web.velocity.RunningChart=DEBUG, chart
log4j.appender.chart=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.chart.File=/tmp/chart.log
log4j.appender.chart.MaxFileSize=100KB
log4j.appender.chart.MaxBackupIndex=3
log4j.appender.chart.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.chart.layout.ConversionPattern=[%x (%c{1})] %m%n

Also, I'd like to know how to configure only error and fatal to console output, and
how to turn on/off everthing else into the file appender.

Any help much appreciated