This question was raised on this list numerous times. I suggest
reading the following thread:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-dev&m=102274371508502&w=2

Chapters 8, 9 and Q 11.11 of the complete manual cover the question of
sub-classing. Nevertheless, I think that they don't deal with the question
very well. The final version of the manual is sure to fix this. I can
safely say that buying the book and reading its contents will let you
take a more informed decision. However, as the author of the manual, I
can't deny that my opinion can only be biased.

At 11:30 31.07.2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>Does anybody have any documentation pointers to the alternative to using
>LoggerFactory? Will buying the complete log4J manual help? Can I find some
>explanation as to why the use of LoggerFactory discouraged?

>The mail archives seem to suggest use of LoggerRepository, but there
>wasn't any
>explanation as to how it should be used.
>
>I am evaluating Log4J as a logging tool for our project and facing roadblocks
>right at the beginning. I would really appreciate any help about this.
>
>Thanks -- ND
>
>--- "N. D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I need some help regarding the configuration of logger factories.
> > I would like to define my own logger class for eg MyLogger, derived from
> > Logger, so that I can define additional interfaces and the users of my API
> > can
> > still create the instances of MyLogger by making a call to
> > MyLogger.getLogger(). MyLogger.getLogger will internally create a logger
> > using
> > an instance of MyLoggerFactory.
> >
> > This works great except when I am using a PropertyConfigurator. If I define
> > multiple loggers in the configuration file and used PropertyConfigurator to
> > read and configure them, then all the instances created are Logger
> instances
> > as
> > opposed to MyLogger. But in fact I would like them to be instances of
> > MyLogger.
> > I couldn't get any documentation about how to configure this scenario
> and it
> > seems that the LoggerFactory configuration is no longer supported.
> >
> > Is there any information available on either 1) how to configure the logger
> > factories to get correct logger instances or 2) alternate ways to
> extend the
> > logger functionality tailored to the application?
> >
> > Thanks in Advance
> > --ND

> e-mail:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > For additional commands, e-mail: