it's nothing exotic, and it didn't *require* extension.  it was just the
often-mentioned desire to have another logging level - TRACE, in our
case.  i know there are other ways to get what we wanted, but this was
the cleanest and simplest.

i maintain that if the framework supports it and the distribution
provides examples of how to do it, the capability should have been
included in the backwards-compatibility pledge :-(