Please note: As my earlier mail to the list got bounced, I have marked a
copy to you individually.
Sorry for that.

Hi,

I have following questions related to Unix Syslog Appender.
1. I have the following log4j properties file for my web based application,
wherein I have 3 appenders.
The first 2 appenders namely console and rolling file working fine, all the
log message
with all the levels are being logged. But I observed that for Unix Syslog
only ERROR level messages
are being sent. (Note: My web based application and Syslog daemon run on
same Solaris box)
please guide me, what I need to do to log all levels of messages to Syslog
file in
var/adm/messages. The syslog.conf file already had the user facility defined
as given below:
Please let me know, if there is anything else that I need to add in
syslog.conf file, or is there a need to
map the log4j Levels to Syslog Levels.
Kindly guide me.

2. I also have an applet being invoked from an applet, which is part of my
web based client application. I am not sure how to go ahead with log4j for
the applet, as it will execute in client's browser environment, whether the
log messages from applet will be routed to the assigned appender. Please
give me some pointers for log4j implementation in Applet.

Syslog.conf file:
----------------
user.debug;user.info;user.warning;user.notice   /var/adm/messages
user.err;user.crit;user.alert;user.emerg        /var/adm/messages

*.err;kern.notice;auth.notice                   /dev/console
*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit        /var/adm/messages

*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err                     operator
*.alert                                         root

*.emerg                                         *
Properties File:
----------------
# Set root logger level to DEBUG and its only appender to A1.
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, A1, R, A2

# A1 is set to be a ConsoleAppender.
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender

# A1 uses PatternLayout.
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n

log4j.appender.R.File = /opt/Snooper/GUI/logs/Testsnooper.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100KB

# Keep one backup file
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n

# A2 is set to be Unix Syslog daemon Appender

log4j.appender.A2=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender
log4j.appender.A2.SyslogHost = localhost
log4j.appender.A2.Facility = user
#log4j.appender.A2.FacilityPrinting=
log4j.appender.A2.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} [%t] %-5p %c{2} %x -
%m%n
#log4j.appender.A2.layout.DateFormat=NULL
#log4j.appender.A2.layout.TimeZone=