See, just as I thought....

You have the console appender attached. So if you want your
logstatements to occur only in the logfile (=log4j logfile) and not on
the console (=tomcat logfile) simply remove the console appender

1) Leave wrapper.properties remains unchanged

2) In log4j.properties change the following line:

        log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, stdout, file, mail
        CHANGE TO => log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, file, mail

3) In log4j.properties delete some lines:

        log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=[%t] %x - %m%n

The jvm.stdout will still be there (as it should be!!), but your
logstatements won't appear on there anymore. They will only appear in
your log4j.log file. I hope this solves your question, although this is
explained VERY clearly in the documentation.

Kind regards,
Stijn