in version 1.2.5 (and before ) you must implement
 own TriggeringEventEvaluator to send any level messages

 from SMTPAppender source :
/**
     The default constructor will instantiate the appender with a
     {@link TriggeringEventEvaluator} that will trigger on events with
     level ERROR or higher.*/

I dont' now anything about latest version ,maybe there are changes

Something like this maybe works :
public class SMTPAppenderTrigeringEvent implements TriggeringEventEvaluator {
  public SMTPAppenderTrigeringEvent() {
  }
  public boolean isTriggeringEvent(LoggingEvent event) {
    return true;

Riho