I use log4j along with weblogic (6.1 through 6.1 sp3) with no problems.

I too, have log4j.properties on the WL server classpath (as well as the
log4j.jar file).  Where is your log4j.jar file?  Are you using any other
components which might be using log4j(there are quite a few libraries
nowadays which use log4j for logging)?  What does your log4j.properties file
look like?