We use JMS-based logging now, but initially used file-appender logging in
our tests about a year ago.  Thats a long stretch for my brain, but I seem
to recall not having to make any config changes to weblogic.

Have you tried with you current weblogic setup (sans any changes)?  What was
the error you got (SecurityException)?