Hi,

>Are you sure about that?

Positive.  The example in SRV 10.2.2 makes this clear.  I've also
inspected the code in tomcat and resin myself and they both implement
the spec the same way.

>contextInitialized() get called when everything has gotten done
>initializing.  That is, the webapp is now ready to run.  So, in effect,
>servlet with <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup> will get called
*before*
>the contextInitialized() method gets called because until that servlet
>completes the init(), the webapp is *not* initialized.

No.  Any servlet init() methods are called after contextInitialized().

>application.  I'm making one assumption here that I'm not sure I can
>make.  I am assuming that each init() method must complete before the
next
>servlet's init() method gets called.  If that assumption is false, then
all
>bets are off.  However, in practice, I've never had a problem so far
with
>this issue.

In practice, this is rarely a problem because the servlet container will
only unload servlets at runtime under high stress and lack of operating
resources.  So you approach is fairly safe, but not 100%, in practice.

Your assumption is up to the container implementation.  It may
initialize servlets in series or parallel, the spec doesn't mandate
either way.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics