At 12:08 10.01.2003 -0700, Gary Clayburg wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply. Also, thanks for creating and maintaining a great logging tool!
You are welcome.

I checked my classpath and I am only using one log4j.jar file. But even if there were two jar files on the classpath, that wouldn't cause this problem. The problem lies in how two different log4j configuration classes are loaded, namely org.apache.log4j.Appender and org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender. These classes are most definitely being loaded by different classloaders, as is evident in the error message.
There is a misunderstanding here. I did not ask whether you had
log4j.jar multiple times on the classpath. I asked whether you had
log4j.jar in the classpath *and* also had log4j.jar available
*directly* to the junit.runner.TestCaseClassLoader.

Which version of Junit is this? Is there any documentation on the
class loading model of Junit?

As for your question why log4j uses the TCL, the answer is that for
the J2EE platform using the TCL is less problematic than using
Class.forName even if both are ultimately problematic. The TCL is the
lesser evil.

--
Ceki