| 1. My first issue is, how does it gets this path, based on what
|  system parameter
| it takes up this value /j2ee/home/ and prepend it to log file ?

The /j2ee/home is probably the VMs current working directory, this is why
you find your files under this directory (unless you have specified a path).
I'm sure this directory is extractable from a property. Do a printout of all
System properties after application server startup. Also consult proper
documentation. If you configure logging in a HttpServlet subclass you can do
something like this:

public void init( ServletConfig config ) throws ServletException {
        super.init( config );
        String baseDir = getServletContext().getRealPath( "/" );

| 2. If i know the system property i need to set, i can set that to log file
| location or i can append to the result of qstn 1. The idea is, if there
| is a system prop that FileAppender picks it up, i can override that by a
| new value as soon as the property is loaded

Not sure what you mean here.

--

Thomas

Copyright ERA Technology Ltd. 2002. (www.era.co.uk). All rights reserved.
The information supplied in this Commercial Communication should be treated
in confidence.
No liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss or damage
suffered as a result of accessing this message or any attachments.