Our company has adopted log4j and quite frankly, love it.  I've only gotten positive
feedback for making the decision to migrate to log4j.  We have been using it as
designed, for logging/tracing and performance has not been an issue since there are
virtually no log records being written in a production environment except for the
occasional warning or error.

However, I have been tasked with the job of creating a auditing service which will be
somewhat volumous depending on what is going on.  My initial thought was to create an
auditing API and delegate the details to log4j but was concerned about potential
scalability issues with the synchronization of the handlers.

It is obvious to us that volumous logging takes a finite amount of time and the more
auditing that has to be done, the slower the application is going to be.  My real
concern is in a web or ejb container that creates multiple object instances that must
be "single-threaded" though a synchronization block in an appender.

An analogy would be a datasource connection.  We would not want every client to access
a datasource through a single connection, so we create connection pools to help
elevate the scaling issues.  I would think synchronized appenders would be a similar
concern for others as well.

If you have any experience or comments about this, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bill

ps. I'm sure this has been discussed before and have searched the archives but never
found the discussion I was looking for.