set additivity=false

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Hale Boyes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 10:54 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: help with appender problem

I've just started using Log4J in my Struts-based web application.  The
application directly uses commons-logging but it is configured to use
Log4J.

I'm having a problem in that messages are logged twice.  I suspect it has
to do with the way I've configured my appenders (because of the line in the
user manual that says "In other words, appenders are inherited additively
from
the logger hierarchy.") but I can't see what the problem is.

Here is my log4j.properties file:
------------------------------------
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG
log4j.debug=true

log4j.logger.com.illuminat.cml=DEBUG, rolling
log4j.logger.org.apache=WARN, stdout
log4j.logger.org.apache.struts=DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources=WARN

log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n

log4j.appender.rolling=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.rolling.File=rolling-output.log
log4j.appender.rolling.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.rolling.layout.ConversionPattern=%d - %p %c - %m%n
------------------------------------

The intention is to not have an appender on the rootLogger but only
on the child loggers.  So I want messages for the "com.illuminat.cml" logger
to go only to the rolling appender and messages for the "org.apache" logger
to go only to the console.

Can anyone see why I'm getting messages from the "org.apache" logger printed
twice as shown in the following output:

------------------------------------
DEBUG [main] (ActionServlet.java:1396) - Mapping for servlet 'action' =
'*.do'
1074 [main] DEBUG action.ActionServlet  - Mapping for servlet 'action' =
'*.do'
DEBUG [main] (ActionServlet.java:902) - Initializing module path ''
configuration from '/WEB-INF/struts-config.xml'
1078 [main] DEBUG action.ActionServlet  - Initializing module path ''
configuration from '/WEB-INF/struts-config.xml'

The first line of the message output corresponds to the
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern defined above but the second
line doesn't seem to correspond to any pattern I've defined.

Thanks for any help,
Kevin.