Hi Michael,

Yes! I use log4j inside EJB containers all the time. You are correct about the EJB specs ... in fact you should not open a Socket directly either.. if you wanted to go this route you would need to make the Sockets obtainable from the container by implementing a construct in the JavaConnectorArchitecture (JCA).

Out ofthe box, this leaves officially JDBC and JMS appenders... both are applicable, the choice of which TBD by the requirements associated w/ your application. I should also add, however, that in development, I use log4j right to a file all the time, and have yet to have a problem. YMMV.

It is also reasonable (and not that tough) to create Custom appenders that write directly to the vendors proprietary logger (I have one for WebLogic if you are interested)

Hope it helps.

-don