Ceki Gülcü wrote:

I think I understand. Can you point me to a sample implementation?

I use the implementation from http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html which provides a SyncCollection (a wrapper around collections) which can be initialized with a WriterPreferenceReadWriteLock. WriterPreferenceReadWriteLock implements the needed strategy. The only problem I see is the repository.fireAddAppenderEvent(this, newAppender); in Category.addAppender. This could lead to deadlocks, if not used right. Fortunately I don't see many uses of this event handling inside log4j except the MBean.

I can try to implement the desired feature in Category - if you want.

Ingo