If you make them class static variables, it is the same as marking them as transient. The recommended way to define a logger is probably....

private static final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(MyClass.class.getName());

This will not be serialized. If you don't make it static, then do...

private transient final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(DBRApplicationGateway.class.getName());

Jake