Thats true. Is the LoggingEvent class responsible for  Serializing the
message objects. ?

 This is what I do...
LogMessage message = new LogMessage(key, value);
logger.debug(message)

In this case will LoggingEvent instance convert the LogMessage object to
String, which is retrieved by the
getRenderedMessage() ?  But what I want is the message object before it
gets rendered , so can I use the getMessage() method on LoggingEvent to
get the Object itself ? I tried it, but it returns String too?
BTW the LogMessage object I am using is Serializable.

Thanks
--Viv

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 14:12, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

    At 12:10 PM 6/6/2003 -0700, you wrote:
    >Hi All
    >Can someone please help me with this issue. ?
    >It seems log4J always, logs the message in String format. Either it uses
    >the Renderer to render the Object as String Or calls the toString().
    >But what we want to do is, Send the message encapsulated in a LogMessage
    >Object to a JMSAppender. The JMS  Consumer will read this LogMessage
    >Object and send it over to a remote server using SOAP a call.
    >So Basically, we do no want log4j to convert the LogMessage Object to a
    >String . Is there a way we can do it, or do we need to extend log4j code
    >and write our own code to prevent this conversion of object to message.
    >?

    The JMSAppender uses object serialisation to send its payload. The
    LoggingEvent object (which is the payload of the JMS message) is written in
    such a that it serializes the string of the message object, LogMessage in
    your case. It does not serialize the message object because not all message
    objects are serializable and their serialized form can be very large in size.

    HTH,

           ISBN: 2970036908  http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp