Howdy,
Appender options follow JavaBean format.  So look at the JavaDocs in the
class of the Appender you care about, for public setXXX() methods.  So
for example, for org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender, it has:

setDataPattern(...);
setAppend(...);
setBufferedIO(...);
setBufferSize(...);
setFile(...);
setEncoding(...);
setErrorHandler(...);

So you can set all these programmatically or via file configuration.

RollingFileAppender supports the max file size attribute you're looking
for.  So you have a choice: either roll based on time
(DailyRollingFileAppender) or size (RollingFileAppender).  Expect to be
able to do both in log4j 1.3.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

DatePattern?