I've committed a number of receivers and appenders, including a JDBCReceiver, to the
log4j-sandbox project (part of next release, hopefully).

Here are other receivers/appenders I've contributed that may be of interest as well:

* A receiver which accepts XML events via TCP sockets (includes support for JDK1.4's
util.logging events).

* A UDP Appender and Receiver pair which support events transmitted via unicast
datagrams (formatted using XMLLayout)

* A Multicast Appender and Receiver pair which support events transmitted via
multicast (formatted using XMLLayout)

The multicastappender/receiver pair can be very useful in an environment where a group
of developers would like to see a single person's/machine's log output.  This is
particularly useful during a heavy QA cycle, or where multiple apps are running on a
single machine and different people would like to view the log output of any or all of
the applications.

Most of the receivers I've contributed were written to expand the availability of the
new Chainsaw UI I'm developing to provide support for other languages,  or apps which
choose to use JDK 1.4 logging.

Any language that can open a socket and transmit events as XML can act as an event
source, while Chainsaw V2 can act as the event sink.

There is still work to do on Chainsaw V2 before it's ready for release, but hopefully
we'll be making an announcement of it's availability and features sometime in the near
future.

I haven't yet fully documented the JDBCReceiver, I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Scott