Hi Avner,

You'll be pleased to know that Ceki has done a LOT of work on refactoring
the Rolling appender stuff for Log4j 1.3 (not yet released).  I can't give
100% guarantee that the new changes are what you are looking for, but
suffice to say his new design should make it a lot easier to customize
behaviour.

Perhaps you could check out the jakarta-log4j module and see his new changes
too see if it meets your needs? (we always love feedback! :) )

cheers,

Paul Smith