Mmmm, for some reason it is using all the right class loaders to attempt to
find the log4j.xml file, but it only uses 1 different methods to try to find
log4j.properties.  That is odd.  Is this a Tomcat 4.1 specific class loader
issue?

What about trying converting your log4j.properties file into a log4j.xml
file, and placing it in the same spot.  Given the catalina.out is attempting
to look for that file in the right spots it should find it.

Paul