> obviously it would be optimal to turn on debug/info calls
> only for a given user as opposed to everyone.

I am not sure about performance ramifications, but couldn't this be
achieved by having some code that could add appenders at runtime with
both an MDC filter checking, say, "username", etc coupled with a
secondary filter that could filter based on a LoggingEvent's level?
Essentially, the base configuration would enable debug for all but have
default filters that disallow appending less than ERROR?  When specific
users log on, special appenders could be added at runtime whose filters
would allow only that/those particular MDC value(s) but would
essentially circumvent the default level filter and allow, say debug
messages.

Just a thought,

-Scott Heaberlin