Hi all,

Well, I'm still looking at how to use discreet logging types instead of the Level to control what messages are "enabled". The difficulty resides in the need to enable/disable certain log types by package/class name. BTW, I posted my original message on 7/30/03 if you are interested.

Basically, the way I've always built logging systems is by defining a set of discreet types to be used by the developers, and then allowed those types to be enabled/disabled individually. Unfortunately the "level" concept is fairly hard-wired into log4j. I say "unfortunately" not because levels are bad, but because there is no way to expand or get-around them with an alternate approach. Actually, levels can be viewed as a set of discreet types with an implicit ordering/relationship between them, but in log4j, there is no way to control the relationship test.

Before I go on too much (which I do!), is there anyone else who is interested in discussing the idea of replacing the "level" with "discreet types" in the log4j package?? Basically I'm at a point where I need to make some decisions regarding how to proceed. If other members are interested in pursuing this idea, then I'll explore the idea of modifying the Logger classes (et. al.) to replace the level with types, with the intention of folding those changes back into the product. But if no one is interested, I'll just make some small mods to Logger for my own purposes and handle it as a "one-off" type situation. In either case, I intend to move forward with log4j! It has many features which I'm planning to use in the future (like that IMAppender being discussed!!). Mostly its a matter of whether I do a complete implementation to replace levels, or just a quick fix to solve my problems.

Thoughts, comments ??? Ceki, as one of the main champions for log4j, do you have any input?

--- regards ---
Larry

Larry Young
The Dalmatian Group