Hello

I could not find a simple solution
to this problem. I deploy a web application (a War file) in
a web server (iplanet) and an ejb application ( an ear file) in
OAS (oracle application server). I want to use log4j in both applications.
The logging works fine. The problem is specifying the location of the log
file.
I use log4j.xml to configure log4j. In there I have to specify the location
of the
log file as absolute path. This creates a problem because we have to edit
log4j.xml
during each deployment of our application to edit the location of the log
file.
I attempted to solve the problem by adding the following code in a utility
class

                rootLogger = Logger.getRootLogger();
                FileAppender fp = (FileAppender) rootLogger.getAppender("LOGFILE");
                String fileName = fp.getFile();
                String dir = getOracleRootDir();
                if (dir!=null) {
                                StringBuffer logFilePath = new StringBuffer(dir);

logFilePath.append(File.separator+"log"+File.separator+fileName);
                                fp.setFile(logFilePath.toString());
                                fp.activateOptions();
                }

which is kind of clumsy. Is there any way of specifying the location of the
log
file without editing log4j.xml (e.g. programmatically or otherwise)

Regards,
Grum