Could you not place the configuration file in the root of the
/WEB-INF/classes/ ?  Log4j will automatically find "log4j.xml" or
"log4j.properties" if it is located there.

Alternatively you could use the
Thread.currentThread.getContextClassLoader(), this should work well
inside a Webapp.

cheers,

Paul Smith