Hi Lance

I think there are two ways of getting LF5 to view LoggingEvents sent over
the wire. See Mark Womack's mail
[http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-dev&m=102511373124806&w=2] for how
Chainsaw and the Receiver framework can be used together. This is the log4j
1.3 way of doing things and is worth learning going forward.

The other way of getting this to work is based on the same principle of the
SocketAppender/SimpleSocketServer combination as shown at
[http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/lf5/examples.html] with a LF5
appender hanging off the SSS. To get this to work, you need to modify the
SSS implementation otherwise you'll have two ServerSockets, each waiting
for the other to connect. So I made a variant of the SSS that  makes a
connection to the SHA and everything works fine.

The SSS-variant approach is probably not the most elegant (insofar as the
the LF5 doesn't directly connect to the SHA) but it works after only a
small amount of modification of code and is easy to control and configure

Hope that helps

Nigel

--
Nigel Byrnes
E-Commerce, Direct Line

                      Lance Birtcil

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "'Log4J Users List'" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                      et.com>                  cc:

                                               Subject:  LogFactor5 and
SocketHubAppender functionality
                      08/09/2003 20:22

                      Please respond to

                      "Log4J Users

                      List"

Hi,

Has anyone been successful in getting a SocketHubAppender type solution to
work with LogFactor5 in the 1.2.8 release?  I'm looking to be able to
specify a port on my server that multiple LogFactor5 clients can connect to
to receive logging events.  From what I can tell, LF5 only works with
SocketAppenders -- a pity since I have to create a separate SocketAppender
for each machine on which I want to be able to view logging events.

In reading posts in the mail archive, it seems that the new Receiver
framework should allow the type of behavior that I'm looking for in LF5.
However, I'm hoping that I don't have to wait for 1.3.x to get this
working.

How about it?  Anyone gotten this to work in 1.2.8?

Thanks,
--LB

Direct Line Group Services Limited, registered in England no.3001989, registered
office 3 Edridge Road, Croydon, Surrey, CR9 1AG. The following are also members of the
Direct Line group of companies: Direct Line Insurance plc, a member of the General
Insurance Standards Council and Direct Line Life Insurance Company Limited and Direct
Line Unit Trusts Limited, both regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Loans,
Mortgages, Credit Cards and Savings provided by Direct Line Financial Services
Limited, registered in England number 2372702, registered office 3 Edridge Road,
Croydon, Surrey, CR9 1AG. All are members of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.

This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient
of this e-mail, you should notify us immediately and delete it. You should not copy,
print, distribute, disclose or use any part of it. We reserve the right to monitor and
record all electronic communications through our networks. We cannot accept any
liability for viruses transmitted via this e-mail once it has left our networks.